Wednesday, October 16, 2013

What to Call it Wednesday

That's my title because I'm totally off my little, self-imposed schedule this week.
I'm supposed to be posting my mid-week workshop today with Monday's entry focusing on this week's mini quilt. But, there was no entry on Monday.
I've been getting ready for Quilt Market in Houston at the end of next week, working on several design assignments, and planning for a trip to Colorado, so, I propose we play a game of pretend. let's pretend today is Monday. You pick the date. I don't really care, but let's all close our eyes and imagine that it's the start of the work week.
That's it. Breathe in. Breathe out. And it's Monday. And on Monday I post this week's mini quilt. So, welcome to Mini Quilt Monday!


Remember these pillows? I designed and created them for Modern Patchwork Magazine. Well, the nice folks there have asked me to teach a Schoolhouse segment at Market focused on that project and I thought it would be fun to reinterpret the pattern just a bit and make a mini quilt version of it.
I think I might call this my Mid-Century Modern Mini Pieces.
I decided to up-size the template pieces a bit and focus on low volume, graphic prints, including a few of my own from my new collection, From Outside In.
I also wanted to play with an idea I've been thinking about for a while.
I've been wanting to start adding bits of ephemera from my own life into my pieces. That probably will be primarily in the form of my own photos transferred to fabric, but, in this case I decided to transfer a few of my race bibs to fabric, cut those up, and piece them into these blocks.
Is it weird that, despite the fact that I "make" my own fabric all the time, I was blown away with how cool it was to "make" fabric out of these bibs? I think it's a little weird, but, that's what I was thinking. Also, I love the graphic quality of the numbers alongside these fabrics.
When the quilt was all pieced and quilted it just seemed to scream out for rounded edges. So I obliged and finished those edges with a sweet pale blue solid.

Also, I don't want to forget to mention that the lovely Tammy at Marmalade Fabrics is having a sweet, sweet sale on some amazing fabrics, including Lotta Jansdotter's Glimma collection. One of those prints appears in my Mid-Century Mini Pieces quilt.






7 comments:

Pinkadot Quilts said...

I like the bits of the racing bibs in your piece. It adds a lot of interest.

Courtney said...

Love the race bibs! What method did you use to make the fabric?

Malka Dubrawsky said...

Hi Courtney,
I ironed freezer paper to fabric so I could send it through my copier and then copied the images on to the fabric. That way I can copy the bibs again and again.

Carla said...

Fabulous mini quilt. You are so talented!

christine said...

I like your Mini Quilt.
I am going to give it a try
Thanks for sharing

DonaleeK said...

I LOVE the graphics of the numbers too! Good call, makes them so MODERN.

Elena said...

I love how modern this mini is and I'd love to make one for a friend. Where can I find the pattern? I googled for the magazine, but couldn't find this project. Thank you!